Radios and other hi-tech

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998 13:56:10 -0700 (PDT), Joe Long in
ridecamp-d-request@endurance.net wrote:

> If a rider
>wants to go to the trouble to carry and use a radio on the trail to get
>such info from his crew, I don't see how that violates the spirit of
>endurance competition.

Perhaps not. But it will certainly spoil my day out on the
trail, pretty much the same as if someone's cellphonewere to
start
ringing somewhere  in the boondocks (or at a concert, for that
matter).

Part of the joy of a ride for me is the element of risk, slight
as it may be. I like the idea of being on my own and maybe a bit
scared at times. As one of my outdoor books has it "now we are
finally where if we yell for help, nobody will hear us."

I happen to ride for the joy of the trail, the camaraderie with
my horse, and the feeling of catching a bit of the past, less
sofisticated age (the competition aspect is secondary in my
case). Maybe will use a HR monitor, and will not reject the
advantage of a radio or cellphone in emergency, but would
certainly
like to see it sealed away until an emergency arises.

	Regards		Emil

Dr. Emil Kucera,  Senior Scientist		Tel:	(204) 945-7088
Manitoba Environment				Fax:	(204) 948-2357
Suite 160, 123 Main Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada	R3C 1A5	e-mail	kucera@mbnet.mb.ca