Re: water on the trail

In a message dated 98-04-15 08:53:13 EDT, hikryrdg@evansville.net writes:

<<  Big Red will not drink out of a stream for the first 25 miles,
 however if Diane meets us on a road crossing he will drink out of a bucket
 if she holds it up to him.  >>

You've got him well-educated to the fact that he doesn't HAVE to drink out of
a stream because Diane will be there.  What if you slow down a bit for a few
rides, and go with someone whose horse WILL drink at the streams, and just
wait and wait and wait with the other horse?  No drink, tough, do the same
thing at the next stream until he learns.

You're fortunate to have streams--at most of my rides, I haul every drop of
water on the trail, and have it in tanks or barrels every 6 or 7 miles.
That's about 13 tons of water at Sunriver where we usually have well over 100
horses...

Heidi