Re: Pit Crew Segregation and Sufficient Water

Concerning the statement:

<< When I haul literally tons of water (8# per gallon, you do the math) to
water
 sets every 6 to 8 miles on the trail, if your rider is riding so hard that
 more is needed to prevent a metabolic crash, then your rider is overriding.
 The other riders don't have that extra bucket--maybe your rider should pace
 accordingly too. >>

Here's my logic.  As long as the entry form every competitor is
required to sign absolves ride management of all legal responsibilities,
above and beyond whatever equine liability laws pertain for that state, then
I don't see how management can complain if crews want to do anything
that may add a little bit to our riders' safety and do not interfere with
other's
safety.

Consider that extra bucket of water.  Would you as ride manager be willing
to state on your entry form to say "Ride management take responsibility that
there is sufficient water available on the trail and therefore any metabolic
incident that a horse may have which may be due to a lack of fluids may be
in part ride management's fault"?

Of course not, because there is *a chance* that that additional
offering of water will make the difference and prevent a wreck, regardless of
how hard the horse is ridden.  Your comment implies we duct tape shut
all horse's mouths at rides with lots of streams so they can't drink more
frequently than every 6 to 8 miles (a distance that may take my rider close
to 2 hours to cover).  An interesting way to reduce overriding, but a little
hard on the animal I would think...

So if the AERC rules say we're responsible for our horse's welfare,
and the state laws may say we're on our own,
and we've signed away legal redress,
and besides all of the legal aspects we Care About Our Horse's Wellbeing,
jeez, I guess we'd better fend for ourselves as best we can, and for me
that means being available at every possible point along the trail.

Ride management does a great job, thank you all for putting up with a myriad
of headaches, but they have limited resources, and if a pit crew can make
it a little safer for one horse, it reduces the risk that a vet will be off
treating
that horse when another horse somewhere else is in trouble.  It works both
ways you know: Those other riders who don't have "an extra bucket" marginally
increase the risks for those riders who do, and you don't hear us demanding
that everyone have a crew.

Scott

... the next time someone sees me waiting in the rain for Patty at 2 AM,
please
remind me what a powerful asset pit crews are.  Then duck before I throw the
bucket of water at you...