Subject: Mental Attitude

hi Cindy,

Your post about the 6 year old who struggled with the hill in the
beginning of the race and then "lost heart" reminded me of my now 11
year old Morab.  He is a bit bigger and slower than the arabs and it
part of the challenge is keeping him "caring" enough to be competitive.
He is my only horse so won't be traded in for a more competitive one
anytime soon.

BUT...because he is now fitter than ever before and much more mature
mentally than ever before and he has become very competitive (a little
too much at times!).  He has completely changed and I believe the change
is because of two things.

1.  He is more physically able.  Let me clarify that if he fails to keep
up or is passed and left in the dust that he can still easily lose heart
and I have to work with that to keep it from happening.  How?  By verbal
encouragement and lots of rewards..."you can make it to the top of that
hill, you can do it..come on, come on...you did it!!!" blah, blah, blah
in his ear between him and me.  This also helps in our training rides
when we are alone.

(An important aspect to training ANY horse is to let them know when they
did what you wanted them to do with some kind of sign and thats one way
I do it..I love seeing those ears bobbing back and forth listening to
me!)

2.  Mentally more mature and confident in himself.  This comes with
experience, and time.  It is very gratifying and "fun" to see these
animals change and become more fit and confident as time passes.  If he
was already confident and competitive from day one, I would miss the
challenge! <g>

Perhaps your mare will never be a top ten competitive horse, but give
her the time and patience and she may just surprise you.  Six is still a
baby.....

good luck and let us know!
Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab)
Pt.Reyes, CA