Re: Conditioning young horse?

In a message dated 98-04-12 13:46:18 EDT, katswig@deltanet.com writes:

<< My babies are "fit" from the day they hit the
 ground.  I work their mother's butt off while she is pregnant and the
 babies are born with muscles on muscles. >>

Am not sure I buy into the idea that babies get fit before they are born just
because their mothers are fit.  I don't see one whit of difference between my
babies out of mares that are campaigned vs. those out of mares that stay home
and laze around in the pasture.

I DO agree, though, that "fitness" in youngsters is important in the sense
that they develop much more normally if they are allowed to roam and play and
become "fit" from that.  This is still a far cry from forced work to develop
fitness, which is often detrimental.

Heidi