Re: Leaving after ride

Kris-

> Different situations dictate different actions.

	That's true. As I qualified in my post, I felt that most that left early
were experienced endurance riders (including yourself) and probably quite
capable of dealing with any problems that arose. I guess I should have
clarified my statement about questioning motives. I was thinking more of
several folks that left early that I knew lived hundreds of miles away.
Yes, I do have to question the good sense of those riders. I think it would
be in their best interest, as well as the horses, to clear their schedule
to allow a Sunday departure.
	I agree that if you live within a short distance of the ride an early
departure is, probably, best for the horse. I left a 65 mile ride a couple
hours after completion because I only lived 35 miles away (somewhat like
your situation). I felt my horse would recover much better in the comfort
of his own barn. However, for the entire trip home I was intensely worried
about his welfare and stop several time to check him!
	I just happen to be very conservative when it comes to my horses, as
evidenced by the fact that I am a "bottom ten" endurance rider. I've been
doing endurance for over five years, but not too many rides a year. I'm
sure as you gain experience you are better able to determine what is safe
and what is not. However, until you achieve that experience, I say always
take the more conservative route.

Carol Barrett
Tehachapi, CA (where it snowed, *again*, last night.) :>(