Conditioning young horse?

Hi,

I have a question about the early conditioning of my new young horse -
Bingo . He will be 4 in June. I have been riding him on wide fireroad
type trails - dirt road  2 - 3x (usually 2x) a week at the WALK - 3
miles round trip. There is a lot going on as there are cows, uneven
ground, mud, water to cross and some small hills. Am I asking too much
physically of a  young horse? He seems to be doing ok with it, but
though this is not the first time I have worked with a green horse, this
is the first time I have owned such a young green horse. I do not have
regular access to a ring with good footing.  He has been under saddle
for 2 months and has been very good out on the trail.  We have the
company of  another rider and my other horse Elvis  - who is very
steady.

The rest of the time, Bingo is turned out with Elvis in a largish
paddock on a hill

How do you all start work with your young horses aimed for endurance? I
am doing all the ground work (LT-J. JLyons etc) What I am interested  in
is the work portion. Reply off list so as not to clog.

Thanks very much

Stasia

Elvis  - Connemara
Bingo -  Connemara/Arab cross