Re: Leaving after ride

Hi Angie-

I've been meaning to write you to let you know how much I enjoy your Trail
Blazer articles..

But I'm afraid I'm going to disagree with you on this point.  I agree that a
horse should not be hauled long distances (several hours) after a stressful
ride.  And I agree they need to be given time after the ride to eat, drink
etc.  But if home is within a couple of hours, hauling home 1-2 hours post
ride often can be in the best interests of the horse.  Some horses
(including mine) actually relax in a trailer, and some (including mine)
never fully recover until they are at home.  Here in the northwest region,
some of the top competitors (Westlakes and Morrises) are notorious for
leaving before the awards.  Maybe that has something to do with their
continued success?

I can't help but wonder if the horse you mentioned might have survived if he
had been hauled home.  The owners might have been able to call their own
vet, if they lived within a reasonable distance.  (And of course some colics
resolve during a trailer ride).  Once after a local ride, my horse wasn't
right, but I had absolutely no confidence in the small animal vets who were
vetting this particular ride (my horse was thumping and they didn't know
it).  The thought crossed my mind that he might need veterinary attention.
I opted to haul him home where I could call my vet rather than have him
treated by the small animal vets at the ride.  Fortunately, he was fine and
did not need treatment.

This weekend I will be hauling 6 hours to a ride (too far to come home the
evening after the ride, in my opinion).  But I plan to head back 2 hours to
a fairgrounds where I can get my horse out of the weather (which can be
awful at this particular ridecamp).  And if we need a vet, we will be in a
town.  We have stopped here many times, so this fairgrounds is like a home
away from home for both me and my horses.

I agree that the downside of leaving the ride early is missing out on some
of the socializing.  But in some cases, the horse's interest needs to come
first.

Karen Steenhof
Boise, Idaho
steenhof@cyberhighway.net