Re: Mare's milk

In a message dated 98-04-09 10:00:06 EDT, spencer@inu.net writes:

<< I would like to know if a mare can have 'milk' in her udder and not be in
 foal.   >>

Yes, they can.  It is usually a sign of a hormonal problem, though--the most
common cause being hypothyroidism, which is pretty common in non-pregnant
mares anyway...

With the history of exposure to the stallion 9 months ago, though, I would
also suggest a palpation so that you know for sure they are not in foal!

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)