saddle boo boo

I am writing in hopes of alerting other rookies about more saddle
awareness.

I have been new not just to competive distance riding these last 2-3
years, but to riding at all.  My saddle was an Australian Stock Saddle -
middle of the road price.  While heavy (about 55 pounds), it must have
had great weight bearing capacity and served well.  Plus, I could always
awl it back into shape.

This summer, the saddle suddenly lost its capacity to work.  No matter
what I did, I couldn't get it to work right.  Molly would travel with her
neck slightly to the left.  I had the vet (who is also a chiropracter)
look at her, and he said it wasn't her neck.  Then he checked the saddle
and said it no longer fit (he had ok'd it when first bought).
She started to get white hairs in a straight line down the left side of
her spine, with a definite "wear" spot about 6-8 inches along.

Thus began the great saddle hunt which ended up with me ordering that
21st Century Aussie Enduro  - which I have now sent back.

As the Great Lake Distance Riding Assoc. is giving a demonstration this
Saturday at MSU, I desparately decided I had to get one more ride out of
my saddle.  I awled and awled.

Then I reached up under the pads to see if there was any more reshaping
potential, and got poked hard.  The upshot is that the tree was broken!
That's why it suddenly stopped working and she started getting those
white hairs.  I didn't know saddles could break!!!

As embarassing as this is to admit to, I hope it helps at least one other
horse and rider.

Beth and Miss Molly B (You WILL get a new saddle so we can start in 3
weeks, won't you Mom?)

PS:  The company I bought the saddle from is going to honor the 5 year
warrenty.  I still want to upgrade and will save the new saddle for just
around or sell it, but I am very impressed with them.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]