The Great Grey

Maryben, it wasn't Grey who bucked Lud off at an uphill trot, it was Janet's
Quarter Horse "Nortown" who owns those honors. I was never so frightened in my
life, that is until about 4 years ago when a horse fell with Lud and he hit
his (unhelmeted) head on a tree root in the middle of the trail and was
knocked unconscious. My life at that more recent moment fast-forwarded, and I
was re-adjusting my life to live it as a widow. When he did regain
consciousness, I was at a nearby neighbor's begging for help. Lud awoke,
walked uncomprehendingly over to my mare who was tied to a tree, and that's
where we found him, leaning on her. He still was unaware of what had happened
to him, and to this day has a complete loss of memory of those couple of hours
of his life. A testimony to the wisdom of wearing helmets when riding? You
bet!!!  (I simply never get on any horse any more without a helmet on.) But
back to Nortown; that buck knocked the wind out of him and he was gasping for
breath so hard that it scared me. At that time, many years ago, we had not had
any CPR or first aid training as we have now had with the volunteer Horse
Patrol at Ano Nuevo, so I really didn't know what to expect.

Someone needs to stick labels on all horses - "Warning! Riding horses can be
injurious to your health". Sad to say, the disease is incurable. We who are
afflicted with it know that it starts at a very early age and lasts forever.

Barbara