Re: colic before endurance ride ?

In a message dated 98-04-07 21:23:38 EDT, lpopp@pa.net writes:

<< My question is, would you take this horse on a ride 6 days after a colic
like this? >>

No, I would not.  Give him some time to be really right.  I would start
conditioning rides again by then if he is ok, but I would not haul and attempt
a ride.

I would also be concerned that the Banamine might well still be testable, as
it is usually only dosed every 24 hours--with the addition of the second dose
before the first dose is below therapeutic levels, you have a higher-than-
usual dose for his body to get rid of, hence the risk that it could take more
than a "normal" withdrawal time.  (Please note:  this is not a criticism of
how you dosed it--I would likely have done the same thing in your
circumstances--just an observation about how drugs are metabolized.)

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)