Re: LD - CRT - NATRC - ETC

Funny you should post this right now, as a near identical thing happened to me
in March.

I entered a CTR thinking this would be easier for my green mare to learn
camping, slow mileage with obstacles etc.  Camping went fine, but first
morning out I ran into trouble & pulled.  I must add here that it was at no
fault of any riders, just too much for my mare at this time.  I had waited
till close to the end (I was entered in CP) thinking all the horses leaving
would be too much.  Not even 1 mi. out she went on overload, got light in
front, would not give to the bit & basically felt panicky.  I got off & asked
for softening left & right at the walk (not maintaining forward motion) hoping
to get attention back to continue down the trail (no such luck though).  Drag
riders were concerned whether to stay with me or go on & management finally
came by to say I had to go so I said pull me I had to address this situation.

I later posted to this list asking for opinions on which is easier to start
green horses, CTR or LD endurance.  General consensus was for the LD & I now
agree for the same reasons stated in Roger's post.

I now will try this next month at Cinder Lakes ride & feel confident that if
all else fails I can hike 25 miles ha ha.

Thanks for the affirmation,

Lori, Sky & Packy
SW region