Re: CTR in AERC?

In a message dated 98-04-03 18:34:29 EST, KimFue@aol.com writes:

<< Unfortunately, it sounds like some people on this list would
 like to FORCE a certain type of distance riding/style of conditioning on
other
 riders.   >>

Hi, Kim--

I don't think it is so much an issue of FORCING people to do CTR's as it is of
providing a truly educational format for newcomers.  The CTR format provides
the rider with something similar to a BC judging at EVERY checkpoint, allowing
him or her to evaluate how the horse is doing and find the weak spots, so to
speak.  The time format teaches riders how to pace.  I started out with CTR's
many years ago, and to this day, I can travel down the trail at just about any
speed and tell you almost exactly how far I have come, how far it is to the
next check, and what time I expect to arrive there if I don't alter my pace.
I am rarely off about my arrival times by even five minutes.

It is my observation that the vast majority of experienced riders start their
young horses directly on 50's, because they already know what to look for at
home and how to gauge the readiness of their horses.  They also have the
restraint to start slowly and take three seasons to build their young horses.
After 25 years in this sport, I personally would not start a young horse on a
LD ride without there being some extenuating circumstance, such as my own
health or a need to "train" to camp or some such.  However, the 600 miles of
CTR's that I logged nearly a quarter of a century ago taught me more about how
to ride endurance than just about anything else I have ever done, and I wish
that format was available for new riders in my area.

In areas with active CTR's associated with endurance, the rides are sanctioned
(or whatever their groups call it) by organizations like ECTRA or UMECRA.  Why
is it important for AERC to sanction these events, anyway?  AERC is an
endurance organization.  I would have no qualms with either an AERC umbrella
OR a regional group forming just for the CTR's.  There are non-endurance
riders who like the CTR format and may want to participate in that without
being a part of AERC.  I don't see a thing wrong with that.  The important
thing is that they are properly and safely run, adequately vetted, etc.--AERC
is not the only game in town that can ensure those goals.  Don't get me
wrong--AERC is a great endurance organization, despite some of its occasional
warts.  However, there is more than one way to give an umbrella to
CTR/training rides.

Heidi Smith, DVM (Oregon)