Older horses

Love older horses, just got one from some neighbors, who can't find time to
ride him.  Planning to have him as my back up horse for CTR & endurance.  With
the exception of some habits I am correcting, his life experience with the
world makes him a joy to condition.  I find he will pace himself better & be
more honest in his workouts (doesn't need to prove himself to anyone).  He has
some dings (he is 16 so would be surprised if he didn't) but at least you
don't have to worry about stressing young bones & tendons.

I also am conditioning the other end of the spectrum (a 5 yr. old) so find the
comparison very interesting.  The youngster is still finding balance &
learning there is no need to rush when were are out for a long ride.  The
oldster knows these things.  The older horse does not have a food issue or a
water issue for that matter, he knows how important both are .  So far I have
not found any problem in conditioning because of his age - I treat him the way
his - a soft horse that needs long slow distance.

The most rewarding part is the grateful look in his eye.

Have fun,

Lori, Sky & Packy