re: horsey situp

><<
>Horsey sit-ups are a good exercise on the ground that helps also.
>>>

>OK, I give, what's a "horsey situp" ?

Abdominal scrunches for your horse.  If you take a couple of round, smooth
objects (I use the back of the hoof pick or rounded edge of a comb) and
draw 2 simultaneous lines (with fairly decent pressure) shortways across
the horses belly, about 6" fore and aft from the centerline of the belly
(side to side centerline), the horse should react by tucking the haunches
and lifting the back -- it's one of those reflex things.  It's this
movement that you want to recreate when you are riding by correct leg and
seat cues.  I do about 8-10 scrunches with my horses when ever I work with
them.

Sue
sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm