Trailer Loading--Results

First of all, thank you ridecampers that emailed me your suggestions,
sympathy and help! All posts are printed and in a special file.

You could tell I was at the end of my tether.

Anyway, when you've finally had it, call everyone! Pray! Go to a clinic!
give it one last shot! Figure out if you can sell the horse without
revealing that it won't load  <g>.

So, I begged for help. The posts did calm me down somewhat...you guys had
some good plans (like John Lyons techniques) novel ideas (trailer/food
combos) good questions (problems with the trailer itself) Well, after the
weekend, would check out each and every suggestion very seriously! Why not?
It's obvious I was going nowhere, fast!

So, ready to go to a clinic and can't load....grrrrr. Woulda rode the horse
over, but aerial views revealed major ice-jammed rivers, major highways,
lots and lots of fences...the planning would have taken a week!

Anyway, I attended a 'horsemanship' clinic. I had been doing some work with
my trainer on helping my mare become more relaxed and responsive in an
arena setting. Really hard for this horse...you might think you've given
her only one option, but, she's figured out 10.

Anyway, the Peter Campbell clinic. Lots of really basic control stuff. on
the ground and under saddle. Can your horse move his left foot first and
his right hind next? put his nose on the ground? Well 4 days of this and
I'm drained.

But back to loading. I asked the last of a long line of trainers to get the
horse into a trailer to go to the clinic. He came with a stock trailer.
And, with not toooo much work, she loaded and was happy. Pushing the
envelop, we asked her to load in my 2-horse...walked right in (took in
total 1/2 hour).

Ok, I get it now. It's ME that's the problem (and hubby too!)

So, I talked to Peter about loading...of course with him, all he had to do
was look sharp at her and she'd open the doors, drop the ramp and walk in,
tieing the lead to the front!

So, with a brand new shiny rope halter, 12 foot lead with a popper. I was
retrained to load. His method (which won't sound unfamiliar to most) is to
let the horse walk in by itself. Well, I did it! not pretty and couldn't
figure how to switch the lead from my left hand to the right, practically
tripped over the popper. And at one point found myself trying to pull her
in (just what had I been learning 2 seconds ago?). And I found out, just
how sensitive a horse is to wrong cue. A couple of times I actually
interfered with her getting in because I didn't take the slack out of the
rope (geez).

I think I understand. It wasn't my trailer (darn can't get a new one!);
it's height, width, colour...different floor matts, ramps,whatever, that
was not the problem. It was me! my horse wasn't stupid or piggy, out to get
me or a bad case of hormones, I was the cause of her not going in.

Of course there was a group watching. But the feedback I got was that I was
more confident! They too saw how little it took to discourage a horse from
going in.And, how little it took to GET it in.

While I probably got away with enough body language, chutzpa, and
encouragement for my  other horses to go in, the bright light I have now
want's precision from me. Too much rope swinging...and she's either dead to
it or jumping around. There's rarely too little.

So, I'm can now proudly wear my "Good Trailer Loading" "C" Class pin (B
comes in 6 months after grueling testing and I may never get the 'scrambled
eggs' for the A). And probably will be a pain in the butt talking about it
until the novelty wears off. Am I gonna put my guard down? Nope. I will be
as precise about it everytime. Of course I know that the rope halter is
magic, so I'll always use it! <g>

The really GOOOD moment came back at the stable. I was able to unload my
horse by myself, alone,  she walked out nicely, without bumping into the
butt bar, waiting. Ah, bliss!

Will I have problems in the future? who knows...I will be very
positive...and keep my mental tool kit (and my magic rope halter) handy.

For those of you with a problem child...it can be done!!! You'll get there!
Just hang in there!

Anyway! Thank you ridecampers! What a treasure of a resource this group is!

I can actually GO to the races this year!

Monika, Koko (loading queen!) and Ripp (a prince!)