Re: Distance riding and the aged horse

Hi, Jennifer--

Don't let your horse's age stop you!  I have started several broodmares in
their teens, and took one to the AERC Top 25 back when we still had that
wonderful award.  She was 19 and pregnant when she did 18 rides (about 1100
miles) and Top Tenned 17 of 'em.  She was started under saddle at 13, but not
ridden seriously 'til she was 17.  Rode my old (now deceased) stallion Surrabu
at rides until he was 20.  Am still riding his son at age 17.  (He was PNER
mileage champion with 1170 miles at age 14--didn't even start that year until
into June, so he did that in less than 6 months.)  Just started a new stallion
last year at age 15--he had been living in a stall and doing nothing but breed
mares for 8 years.  He did two LD rides and then Top Tenned two 50's.  My
husband has been riding him most of the winter and will be riding him this
year--16 now.

As a ride vet, I have seen scads of other oldsters (the horses, that is,
although there are plenty of oldster people, too) out there doing a great job
and having a great time.  Have seen a few in their 20's, even.  I think RT
Muffin is about 19 now (AERC Hall of Fame) and still going.  Just bring your
mare along at her own pace, and enjoy!

Heidi