Re: Heart Rates and Bigger Horses

As I have mentioned earlier my gelding Shaq is a big horse, not so terribly
tall, measures at 15-1 1/2 h, but everyone is sure he is taller.  He also
black with four white feet.  But he is a big bodied horse with big bones
and real tough well shaped  feet.  When I got him lot of my friends thought
he wouldn't be good metabolically because of his size.   I ride fairly
conservatively, but he has been top 10 few times and best condition once.
He has 705 miles right now. I have never had any kind of metabolic problem
with him and I have to admit he is carrying a heavyweight.

He has always had an interesting heart rate, because when you go up hill he
will normally be the lowest of the group that he is and usually by 20 or
more beats.  As I stated before it's really hard to get his heart rate over
175 galloping training hills.  I have wondered if does well uphill because
he has a real wide face and he seems to be able to get a lot of air in.

When I come into a Vet check I don't come in fast, but I never have on any
horse.  Depending on the situation, such as whether it uphill or downhill,
I know if his heart is below 80 which is pretty easy to do, even after not
being ridden all year, if I just stop him it will drop below 65 instantly.
Being conservative I usually like to see 76, because I know he will be
about 60.

I agree with Heidi on the breeding point.  I think as soon as you start
breeding for one attribute(as height) you likely are loosing some other
attributes.  That's also why I am a lot more cautious when looking horses,
where a breeder is into one specific color.

I think a good horse is a good horse, no matter what sex(I've had a mare,
stallion, and gelding that liked real well), color, size or breed.  I get
into disagreements about sex all the time.  I only reason I might be
partial to a male horse over a mare is that they tend to be larger boned.
(in general only).  Just judge the horse as an individual.

Gail and Shaq
hought@humboldt1.com

http://www.hought.com