Re: LD

>I'm responding to you personally Becky because I don't want to start a
>"pissing contest" and  although I usually don't care that much what
>others think, it really offended me  to have you SHOUT one more time
>that "LIMITED DISTANCE RIDING IS NOT ENDURANCE RIDING".  Well, you know
>what???  It is to me.  And from the number of people riding the 25's, it
>is to a lot of people.  Even if you longer distance people don't want it
>to be so, 25's have developed a life of their own now.  They're not just
>for training anymore.
>
>If these ARE strictly  training rides, somebody should be doing some
>training.  Apparently, the newbies don't know all the "unwritten laws of
>the vet check" and what they are learning is that  riders have
>permission to shove others out of the way at the vet check, at the
>water, and on the trail if they are doing a "longer ride".  Here they
>are, poor uninformed souls...  standing in the rain, tired,  freezing
>their ass off, watching  the "hot shoe's"  flash by in a blaze of
>color-coordinated biothane and spandex to cut in front of them!  Who
>wouldn't get  pissed?  They don't know that you REAL Endurance Riders
>don't have to obey the rules of common etiquette.  This should be
>written down somewhere...
>
>You should count the number of times you used the word "I" in your post.
>   That means that you are only giving YOUR opinion.  I don't care when
>you felt like a real endurance rider, I still want to do what I want to
>do.  There are other opinions out here that are every bit as valid as
>yours.
>
>And as for the statement:   I also always like to have 20 minutes to ice
>my horse's legs...  PLEASE!  How pretentious!   Many horses that have
>just finished a 25 are just as tired and in need of ice/TLC as your
>horse is at the 1/2 way vet check or at the end of a 50.   I always ask
>(or check the number) to see if the person behind me is a "50".  I open
>gates for "50's".  I am sensitive to the fact that they're in a hurry
>and I'm not, but to me, this is simple courtesy, not a requirement.  You
>see, I have used the word "I" several times because this is my not so
>humble opinion.....
>
>.
Dear Ann--and others who feel pissed upon;

I open gates for those behind me and hope that they will wait for me while
I mount.  This doesn't always happen. I yell at others when I see them
going off trail. I stop when another rider takes a spill and make sure they
and their mount are together and cared for before I continue.  I think
sportsmanship is more important than top tenning or winning.  I attempt-I
may not be perfect-- to practice courteous behavior on and off the trail. I
am always willing to assist beginning riders.  I still do not think 25-30
miles is an endurance ride.

This only what I think/feel. I speak for myself.

Limited distance riders feel inferior and feel that they are subjected to
viscissitudes of endurance riding that longer distance riders don't meet.
I hate to tell you guys that all the difficulties you encounter are
suffered by the rest of us too.

Endurance riding is not an easy sport.  It difficult to train for;
difficult to do; difficult to manage.  If you want easier, more closely
regulated, more rules, go find another sport. There's lots out there,

If you want challenges, both personal and equestrian, keep with AERC.
There is no perfect ride and sometimes you'll get screwed. Sometimes you'll
find triumph in spite of yourself, It's about accepting you are and what
the sport is.

Learning not to whine and snivel is the biggest lesson.*

*May the Duck be with you.