Re: How slow is a 'slow' pace?

Merryben wrote:

> In a message dated 98-03-27 10:58:43 EST, mkgehrin@n-jcenter.com writes:
>
> << f you decide to go slow towards the maximum time, be aware that the
>  clock keeps ticking until they take your horse's pulse and it is below
>  or at criteria. >>
> This does not apply to 50 milers.  I am not really sure about 25's however, I
> can't think of a ride that would pull you for that, it you crossed the finish
> line in the required time...
This happened at the Florida Endurance Classic, the 25 mile L.D.  I got
my t-shirt and they were very nice about it but if you look at the
results my name and some others were cited as overtime.  I'm not sure if
my miles will count in the SEDRA distance program or not.I crossed the
finish line in time but then let my horse drink water, talked to someone
and finally showed up to have my horse's pulse taken.  She was way below
criteria because we had gone slow, that was the plan.  However by the
time her pulse was taken and time was called, I was two minutes
overtime.  Frustrating but I guess you live and learn. Another person at
that ride said they went over this rule at the riders meeting.  I don't
remember it but when you are new sometimes things blur together.  From
what you are saying there must be different rules for 50 milers?

Karen
Ormond Beach, Fl