Re: Studs in Shoes

I don't think stud are good for the horse in the long run...use them when you absolutely need them, then remove them...When I MUST have them for a long period of time, I have borium welded on the inside rim of the shoes...not the toe or heels...that works fine and does not cause undo stress on limbs as quickly...

Teddy

guest@endurance.net wrote:

> PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO GUEST@ENDURANCE.NET!!!
> You must post replies to the actual sender listed below.
>
> From: Susan Pyne
> Email: spyne@juno.com
>
> My arab has been wearing out his shoes at an average of 4 weeks (even the rim shoes which Karen Paulo recommended in her book).  His feet grow slowly and changing shoes so often was breaking down his hoofwall.  I went to a seminar and saw a shoeing demonstration from a top farrier in our area.  On his own horse, he welds borum (spelling?).  A spot on the toe and one on each side of the heel. Doing this allows him to reset the same shoe for approx. 7 mths.  This sounded great to me.  I told my farrier about
>  it.  Since he doesn't have a forge, he recommended using the borum studs like draft horses use.  I am using those now, but I am worried about something.  The studs sit pretty high (maybe 1/4")  It looks to me like they would present 3 pressure points.  The farrier says not. That the shoe is still
> supporting the entire hoof. Does anyone know anything about this?

begin:          vcard
fn:             Teddy Lancaster
n:              Lancaster;Teddy
org:            RUNNING BEAR FARM, INC.
email;internet: Teddy@runningbear.com
title:          President
note:           "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want  to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln    "Our government has no character"
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard