Re: Virl Norton

Virl was a special person.  I was fortunate enough o see him at the AERC
Convention the year before he died.  Even got many autographs for the Great
American Horse Race book....all sold now...those that have the autographed
ones should treat them as treasures...

Teddy

Steve Shaw wrote:

> Saturday I won the Virl Norton Award at the Mustang Classic 50 mile
> endurance ride and I am sorry that Ad Vandenhogan wasn't there to see
> this because he was one of Virl's good friends. The how or why I got it
> isn't necessarily a good thread here and I will let anyone know the
> details at sshaw@pacbell.net, but I would like to hear stories about
> VIRL NORTON. I have quite a few stories about horses he sold me, or
> tried to, and about races against "Virl's Girls." One is about him
> training a zebra to drive. He always wanted to ride it in an endurance
> ride but he was too smart to even try that. (The zebra)
>
> One of Virl's horses I owned for only about ten seconds but I got to
> ride it at TEVIS one year. The horse came in fifth and was one of the
> most honest horses I ever rode, Jazeel. Virl taught me about what was an
> honest horse.
>
> Virl was quite a part of AERC and endurance. I wonder if AERC News has
> an old article about him from their archives that they can recycle here.
>  I hope that the committee choosing our next Executive to assist in the
> running of AERC embodies some of the spirit of Virl in that person.
>
> Steve

begin:          vcard
fn:             Teddy Lancaster
n:              Lancaster;Teddy
org:            RUNNING BEAR FARM, INC.
email;internet: Teddy@runningbear.com
title:          President
note:           "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want  to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln    "Our government has no character"
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard