Re: Noxious Weed Free Hay & Products

That's what I had always been told...Thanks!!!

Teddy

Robert Morris wrote:

> Teddy:
>
> Pelleted feed uses steam and pressure so any seeds are rendered sterile!
>
> Bob Morris
> Morris Endurance Enterprises
> Boise, ID
>
> ----------
> > From: Teddy Lancaster <Teddy@runningbear.com>
> > To: bobmorris@rmci.net
> > Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net
> > Subject: Re: Noxious Weed Free Hay & Products
> > Date: Sunday, March 22, 1998 11:53 AM
> >
> > Thanskf for teh background, Bob, I did not know the history myself...But,
> it is
> > true as I have been told, that pelleted hay and feed is considered
> weed-free
> > and therefore acceptable?
> >
> > Teddy
> >

> > Robert Morris wrote:
> >
> > > Usually I stay out of these discussions until I can stand the
> > > misinformation and inaccuracies no longer. So the time has come.
> > >
> > > First a bit of history!!! The legislative controls are not, initially,
> on
> > > hay. They are on the transportation of NOXIOUS WEED SEEDS! The laws
> > > concerning this were instituted by the grain growers through out the
> > > central and western states to prevent the spread of crop damaging weeds
> > > like bindweed, thistles of all varieties, skeleton weed Russian Thistle
> > > (TUMBLE WEED) and so on.
> > >
> > > The USFS picked up on this and used the laws as existing, for the
> > > transportation of the seeds, and included the hay as a carrier of
> weeds.
> > > What most people do not consider is the other ramifications of the
> existing
> > > laws. The main transportation vector, as agreed by USFS field
> personnel, is
> > > mechanical. The soles of shoes, vehicular tires, etc. Therefore there
> is a
> > > beginning trend that road construction and maintenance equipment used
> on
> > > USFS lands ( and BLM and State lands also) must be cleaned and
> inspected
> > > prior to use. This could be (and has been at Yellowstone Park) carry
> over
> > > to your horse trailer.
> > >
> > > Now some on this forum have discounted the effort of weed eradication.
> > > Picture a ride that goes along a very nice trail for a few years then
> that
> > > same ride route becomes infested with Bull Thistles!! The ride is no
> longer
> > > a viable entity as the thistles have rendered the trail unusable!!! It
> has
> > > happened in our area!!! Cleaning the vehicles that used this trail
> could
> > > have prevented the problem.  Early attention to the problem with a bit
> of
> > > control could have saved this trail.
> > >
> > > Consider your own pasture, it may be very good now but an invasion of
> Hoary
> [...]

begin:          vcard
fn:             Teddy Lancaster
n:              Lancaster;Teddy
org:            RUNNING BEAR FARM, INC.
email;internet: Teddy@runningbear.com
title:          President
note:           "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want  to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln    "Our government has no character"
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard