New EPM test

I'm not sure why I received this via snail mail or if it is truly endurance
related. But since we have had discussions about EPM, I thought I would pass
it along.

Karen Steenhof
Boise, Idaho
steenhof@cyberhighway.net

*******
College of Veterinary Medicine
Publications and Media Relations
 Michigan State University
A-120D East Fee Hall
East Lansing, MI 48824-1316
Telephone: (517)355-0001
Fax: (517) 432-2391
E-mail: lessardj~cvm.msu.edu

Enclosed is some information for potential use in your pubiication. I hope
you
find it of interest. If you do use it, I would appreciate receiving a clip.
Thank you,

Judith L. Lessard
Editorial Assistant

visit our website: http:~cvm.msu.edu
News Release
Michigan State University

Contact: Linda Mansfield, VMD, PhD
(517)3 53-2296
 or
Linda Chadderdon Information Officer
 (517)3 55-5165

NEW EPM TEST AVAILABLE

March 6, 1998

EAST LANSING, Mich. -- Researchers at Michigan State University's College of
Veterinary Medicine have developed a new Western blot test for equine
protozoal myeloencephalitis (EPM) that substantially reduces the number of
false positive results.

       EPM is caused by a protozoan parasite called Sarcocystis neurona.
This parasite is quite similar to another parasite, Sarcocystisfalcafula,
and other members of the Sarcocystis family, said Dr. Linda Mansfield, a
veterinary parasitologist at MSU.

       Because these organisms are so much alike, there is a concern that
diagnostic tests may not be distinguishing between them.

       "We felt that a certain portion of positive Western blot tests for
EPM could be explained by what is called 'cross-reactivity, "' Mansfield
said. "That's where a test shows a positive result when it's exposed to
antibodies for organisms similar to the one you're looking for, as well as
your original target."

 The MSU test reduces this possibility.

       "We can't claim there will never be a false positive using our new
test," said Mansfield, "but we have eliminated much of the problem with
cross-reactivity. Owners can have confidence that they are not treating
their horse unnecessarily, if they get a positive result."

The test should also help give a better picture of the true incidence of
EPM.

"Present estimates may be too high," she said, "because they are based on
tests
that produce a fair number of false positives."

 Mansfield lauded Michigan horse owners for their help in the research
effort.

 "People donated dying horses, sometimes driving several hours to bring them

us," she said. "Even though it was an emotionally difficult time, and they
knew they couldn't help their own horse, they came anyway in the hope that
we could learn something that would help others.

       "And 1,200 contributed the blood and cerebral spinal fluid samples
that were so important for this work. Their generosity will help horses and
horse owners for a long time to come."

       The test is available through the Animal Health Diagnostic Laboratory
at MSU's College of Veterinary Medicine (517/ 353-2296 or 517/ 353-2020).
Horse owners should work with their local veterinarians to ensure proper
processing.

       The EPM research group at MSU includes Drs. Linda Mansfield, Harold
Schott, John Kaneene, Mary Rossano, Susan Ewart, and Judy Marteniuk from the
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences; Drs. Christine Corn and John
Shelle from the Department of Animal Science; and Dr. Jon Patterson from the
Department of Pathology.