Noxious Weeds

Just how does one define indigenous?  And at what point in history?  Elk are
not indigenous to the western mountains, but they flourish there now.  Horses
are not indigenous to this continent, but "wild horses" are a hot political
potato, with people intent on "preserving" them.  All manner of plant life has
been moved by birds and other animals.  Species (both plant and animal) drift
all the time to new habitats and new areas.  This old earth is a tremendously
dynamic thing, as is the life on it.  There is no "set" pattern--it is a
constantly changing kaleidoscope, and I don't think the so-called ecologists
and environmentalists, bent on political power, even begin to comprehend or
appreciate that.  Just my .02.

Heidi

Hi Heidi...I have no doubt that our biosphere is amazing and changing! But,
my concern is change directly attitributable to human activity. We have an
incredible ability to accelerate change! (As I understand it, there were
new world horses, but became extinct) Modern horse in NA; Australia and NZ
is courtesy of human resourcefulness and have become both a great pleasure
and a problem. While I'm not sure what happened with the elk, I would
expect that a push from people had alot to do with it, I've seen moose in
mountains too...they've adapted. I doubt if they could go 'home'! As is the
case for the buffalo, wolves, grizzlies and so on.

And while I'm selective with what I think ought to be in a wilderness and
love to ride there, I do know how very little true 'wilderness' is there..
with logging, ranching, recreational persuits, energy industry, and so on.
We most surely affect where we are! And rearrange it to suit our needs,
sometimes consciously, sometimes not; sometimes brilliantly, sometimes
studidly. I for one am glad that some brakes are occasionally applied.

If it means trying to keep my horse from chowing down on hay with noxious
weeds that I've brought from hundreds of miles away, or pooping out 'bad'
seeds, I don't find that unreasonable and it's something I can do...not try
to turn back the clock when the buffalo roamed free..:-).

Monika, Koko and Ripp

Enjoying a 'rat-free' province due to human intervention, but still
complaining about dandilions (which were brought in and planted by people
as an herbal remedy!)