Re: tying in a trailer

In a message dated 98-03-21 20:07:12 EST, paus@micoks.net writes:

<< I used to always tie the horses in the trailer until watching a John Lyons
 video which explained the reasons not to. It seemed  logical to me at the
 time! >>

I am normally a John Lyons fan, but I will have to disagree on this one, after
patching up too many of the results of being untied.  I can't remember if it
is John Lyons or who that makes such a point about horses more comfortable
facing somewhat backward in the trailer, and I DO agree with that--I make it a
point to tie them so that they can do that, if they are in a stock-type
trailer with open space.  The only ones I haul loose are nursing foals, and
that is still risky in a wreck--it is offset by the fact that they often lie
down, and can nurse whenever they want, provided the driver is steady.

Heidi