Re: Hay cubes

Hi, Chris--

Yes, it is true that some states (and some areas of states) have regulations
about hay coming in.  They are trying to prevent spread of various weeds and
toxic plants to protect their own hay growers.  It pays to plan ahead and have
a source in a state where you are hauling through to buy a bale or two.

As to the suggestion of hay in cordura bags, etc.--it has been my experience
with "packaged" hay that if you have a health certificate to a place beyond
the state in question (more or less proof that you are not stopping in their
state with your horse), they will usually let you transit through with it.  In
most cases, it is not impossible to get certified hay either at home or
somewhere enroute, unless you live in a really bad area.  I am fortunate to
live in a good hay-growing area and have not had difficulty getting hay that
will "pass muster" so maybe I am spoiled...

Heidi