Re: Rearing horses

What an incredible story.  On your wedding week?  Can I make extreme
sympathy retroactive?  The gentlest mare I ever owned reared over
backwards on me when I was 19.  Tore my right ACL.  I did bale out, so
she only caught my knee.  Two weeks later was when one of President
Reagan's cabinet members was killed when his roping horse reared over on
him.  Rearing is a form of balking.  I hate it.  Just a note, if anyone
is ever tempted to hit a horse between the ears...DON'T.  I've seen more
than one horse hit in their left eye by a crop weilded by a right hand.

Angie

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998 09:45:51 -0800 nevadaghostridr@webtv.net (L Eisele)
writes:
>     Rearing is a VERY dangerous thing.  20 years ago, 3 days after my
>husband and I were married, we were bringing in cattle on my
>brother-inlaws ranch, n Wyoming, when the green horse reared over on
>my
>husband.  The ground was frozen. This was before helmuts.  He
>fractured
>his skull, in a coma for almost 3 weeks, intensive care for 2 mos.
>and
>I had to teach him to read and write again.  He still has problems
>with
>word recall and association. Please don't be offended if my husband
>has
>trouble remembering your name.
>    If rearing gets to be a problem, I really recommend a trainer!!!
>It was because of that accident and I left out the gruseome details,
>that had me so scared.  I could not ride for the next 10 years.  I
>even
>tried a hypnotist.  It was 10 years ago that I mustered up the courage
>and the help of a trainer and a first 50 miler that got me back in the
>saddle.
>   Linda
>P.S. Learn the emergency dismount or bail off!!
>
>Linda Eisele & Sareei and
>hubby, Allen & LS Iceman
>& the young LS Lakota
>nevadaghostridr@webtv.net

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]