Re: dangerous horses

In a message dated 98-03-20 13:43:37 EST, owensall@sierranet.net writes:

<< Also, after working with an old-time trainer, and seeing how
 the horse's mind accepts the training, I think that the horses that do
 dangerous things either have been trained badly, or a few have a bad
 disposition.  Sometimes it is rider error.  Either way, get it fixed or
 get rid of the problem. >>

I would like to add to this  that the time spent on groundwork... using some
kind of Natural Horsemanship... be it Pat Parelli, John Lyons or whomever...
is time VERY well spent... I personally have participated in the Parelli
program and it has made all the difference in my horse... one of the first LD
rides I ever did on my Grey Arab was  a 25 that he ran away with me the whole
thing... we finished that 25 in 2 hours... I rode him in a mechanical
hackamore that day and was totally a passenger... but, since the Parelli
training ... I ride him in a simple rope halter and have total control...