Athleticism: Apples and Oranges

Just another thought...

I would expect a new rider to find it difficult, even if a trained athlete.
I sure wouldn't expect a ballerina to be good at boxing the first time--and
I would expect her to have sore muscles!

So, when I see a newbie on a horse, I know it's gonna take a while to find
themselves comfortable, get the right mental space, and RETRAIN muscles,
etc to ride!

IMHO ER and riding is based on balance and those muscles used to create an
in-tune rider. Is this work? you bettcha. It's not learned over night. It
can take years! And I really envy those natural riders, that mount a horse
for the first time and just ride like they were born on a saddle (remember
'the man from snowy river' actor?). I once watched a 20 year old mechanic
from Chicago (definitely a city kid) ride, for the first time, on a trail
horse, that was ready to take him anywhere he asked...ears up, tail flying!
Fortunately, those types are far and few in between! :-)

My personal observation and test is if people have done sports that require
balance skills (and some daring-do!). So I've found that good, natural
skiers (black diamond types) usually tend to do well as new riders. There
are probably others, but I'm most familiar with skiers.

Anyway, I'm delighted when I can show an athlete of a different persuation
the joys of riding...!

Cheers!

Monika, Koko and Ripp