Re: Horses Blood Sugar Readings

In a message dated 98-03-19 23:09:32 EST, vmaxept@cococo.net writes:

<< My ELITE glucometer reads in mg/dl
 Normals on the study RAT1 are 90 to 92
 on RAT2 they seemto be lowere like 87 to 90
 weird
 Is RAT2 burning sugar faster.. she does have a hi metabolic rate  hard
 keeper  have to feed many more pounds..maybe she needs more carbos in
 her ration?
 these base reading are taken in the am before any grain is feed

 roger r >>

Rat2 may have a higher rate of metabolism but the numbers you cited don't
suggest anything significant--if se was running below 70 I'd start wondering
about borderline hypoglycemia. We've had troubles with horses below 60--they
don't want to perform in races. Dr. Eleanor Kellon solved that problem
(performance) by feeding daily doses of chromium (picolinate or
polynicotinate)--about 6 mg daily.

I don't think you have this problem yet. Next step would be to see what her
post-feeding glucose response curve looks like. Take a reading every half hour
for 4-6 hours. Her during-the-event needs may be different than the other
horse. She's a horse that you might consider putting on "rice fat" or gamma
oryzanol extract (Body Builder). Since you're keeping such good records, and
sharing them, I'll be happy to send you some to try.

ti