re: rearing horse

One thing I found with my mare when she reared was that grabbing her ear
was a good negative reinforcement.  I ride with long reins but not a crop
and I could not get organized to correct her with the reins. Leaning forward
and grabbing the ear came naturally.  She very soon quit the rearing so
it was a pretty effective negative stimulus.

Teresa