re: Temple Grandin

Isn't this the woman who claims to be autistic and came up with the "pack 'em
in wheat" method of training/breaking BLM Mustangs?? If I've got the right
person she's supposedly very interesting to listen to but also controversial.

She's also designed better chutes and holding pens, etc. at packing plants to
make the experience easier and less stressful (??) on the animal...be it cow
or horse.

I could be thinking of the wrong person though.

Cris
Green River, Wyo.
camelot@fascination.com

*You are right, Cris, in that she is autistic.  I have read a number
of her papers as relating to autistic children (I work with one)
She, I believe, has her Phd in Animal Science, and yes, has
developed humane chutes at slaughter houses.  I believe she also
used to use sheep squeeze chutes on herself-and from that developed
a machine that autistic children can use on themselves to exert a
constant pressure.  Many autistic children can be calmed and
centered by being rolled up in mats, or put in a situation of
complete, light pressure over the entire body.  Dr. Grandin's
invention allowed them to adjust the pressure by themselves.
(I may not be making sense here, haven't had my coffee yet)

*I have heard of this method of placing feral horses in a small
stall and filling it with wheat-but I hadn't heard that she was
involved.  It does make some sense, though.

*In one of her papers, I seem to remember she felt a special empathy
and connection with livestock, especially cattle.

*The title of that program "thinking in pictures" refers to the
fact that many  autistic children (and adults), can often be taught
a sequence of tasks, by using pictures, rather than written
instructions.

*Ruth, you might want to find out if she is going to lecture about
her work with animals, or experiences growing up autistic.

To:  RIDECAMP@ENDURANCE.NET