Re: treatments for stifle problem?

In a message dated 98-03-18 11:33:56 EST, CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com writes:

<< Hi, Cyndi--

 I think your vet is on the right track with this horse with the Legend, etc.
 Antiinflamatories (such as Bute) may be beneficial short-term, too.  I would
 advise laying him off for 4-6 weeks, and starting back in again slowly.  He
 may have stretched one of the patellar ligaments just playing or
 something--may not have been anything you would have seen while riding.  It
 takes some time for these to heal, if they are going to.  Surgery is
certainly
 an alternative, and has a high success rate.  I tend to be conservative,
 though, and give Mother Nature and Father Time (the two best vets in the
 business!) a chance to work first, though, and only intervene if they don't
do
 the trick.  Continual catching of the ligament (the three-legged episodes)
 will only serve to keep it stretched and prevent it from healing.

 Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon) >>

Right. You said it better, Heidi.

ti