Re: Bask-bred endurance horses: Baskhari's other side!

In a message dated 98-03-17 14:21:23 EST, lcorry@velaw.com writes:

<< EW Sabask, was bred to an
 unknown (at least by me) mare named Risha Khari that I never laid eyes
 on (that's about all I know of Baskhari's background).  So Baskhari,
 therefore, could very well have been "back yard bred" as well.  >>

In my experience, some of the best endurance horses have come from what the
show people call "back-yard" breeding.  Just for the record, Baskhari's dam
Rishah Khari has a pedigree that reads like an endurance who's who!  Her sire
Taejon El Ajzaa is by Jaspre, whose dam *Roda was one of the Babson mares.
His dam HMR Zulany was by Hallany Mistanny, who is practically a household
word among people who study endurance pedigrees.  HMR Zulany is out of the
fabulous mare Zuleika (Nusi x Kann)--Zuleika is also the dam of Bint Ghamil,
who practically founded a dynasty at Marjorie Van Gilder's with her three
daughters and a son by Muhuli.  The son is Abu Malacar, who has sired
successful endurance horses AND race horses; likewise, his sisters have
produced horses successful at both.  Rishah Khari's dam Diamond Lil is a
daughter of Zutez, who is by *Witez II (another household name in endurance
breeding) and out of a Babson mare.  Diamond Lil's dam is by Ibn Hanad (old
Davenport breeding) and out of My Bonnie Nylon, one of the really nice
*Raffles daughters.  There is hardly a horse in Rishah Khari's pedigree that I
would NOT recommend as an endurance ancestor!!!   Lynda, in view of this, it
is no surprise that Baskhari is doing such a great job for you.  I just
wouldn't be so hasty to give *Bask the credit.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)