Re: Bask-bred endurance horses

Oops, I'd forgotten this regional-reference may not be understood
throughout the country.  Sorry.  Out here in California, the majority of
the horses bought for slaughter are shipped to Palestine, TX.  It wasn't
meant as a suggestion that we just dump our trashy horses onto Texans
cuz them good old boys dunt know no better.<g>  Out here, especially at
the cheap sales, there are always a group of poor, old, broken down
creatures that are obviously "on their way to Texas", specifically to
the USDA slaughterhouse there.  The other way it's used around here is
if someone is being an all-around bad boy (or girl), then we start
muttering darkly about "taking a trip to Texas", or "one-way tickets to
Palestine".

Sorry for the confusion.

And, by the way, I agree with the comment that the pendulum can swing
pretty widely both ways in ANY bloodline, Bask or no.  I just happen to
have seen an awful lot of Bask-bred mares come through Cal Poly on their
way to being bred to Bask-bred stallions, with dozens and dozens and
dozens of Bask-bred babies being dropped the next spring.  And although
this has just as much to do with other factors as it does to Bask blood,
there were maybe three I would have been willing to take home with me.
And the Lasma mares that came from LaCroix at a very, very, VERY high
price weren't worth the powder to blow them up, though they sure did
look pretty on paper.

Anyway, just another .02, of course.

Susan Garlinghouse