RE: Last 50

Many have asked about the details...hope this doesn't offend anyone...hope
it may help someone.

>>Is there anything that the veterinarians could learn from his passing?  If
>>there is anything we might do differently in the future, please let me know.
>

>Mike...thank you so much....I really don't think this was "ride" related.
>
>Details...he hasn't been as perky over the last few months.  Nothing
specific.  On Necropsy...left kidney was twice normal size...the left rear
was where he was "off"  I'm sorry I don't remember her name, but the lady
vet, and Barney also saw it.  We had to pull at Fire Mt in Jan.  Same
thing...related?  I think so.   Liver...enlarged with some
cirrhosis,..spleen 4 times normal.  Gut appeared to be all tangled up in the
enlarged organs.  By yesterday morning he definitly had a blockage.  He was
so full he was actually throwing up gastric contents.  Home vet tubed him to
releive distention, really not much gas.  He did have a lot of gas further
back.   Bowel and eyes were icteric.  Metabolicly at the ride...within 1`
minute of arriving at each of the vet checks...pulse down to
11...15...14...respectivly...pee and poop normal, appetite somewhat
depressed.  At lunch he seemed to rest.  Not agitated like he was after the
ride.  He was not agitated yesterday morning, or classicly "colicly". Belly
tap bloody x2.   One other thought was that he may have senecio poisoning.

>Like I said, his full brother also died at a young age, I need to check on
those details.  I really am beginning to think it was something congenital.

>For the symptoms presented at the ride, I think treatment was appropriate.
The shot of banamine held him  at least 'till 1:00 am, that's when we got
home, and he seemed normal for him...No fault or problem from the attending
vet staff.  This was just a fluke.