Last 50

Since I have moved up to REAL endurance, we were to have a go at the GEO BUN
BUSTER this last weekend.

Daughter Heather and I left on time Friday morning.  Got to camp set up.
Vets were early, both horses vetted through without any problems.  Both
horses eating, drinking, peeing and pooping normally.

Ride goes well.  Jam ( my horse ) is going well, strong.  He likes to
canter, but I was trying to make him trot more.  At lunch, vet said he
looked slightly stiff as many of the horses did in the 50 mph wind with
light rain.  Walked slowly out of camp until they warmed up.  Trotted off,
cantered, no problem.

Vet # 3 was 13 miles.  About 1/2 way there I noticed a slight offness.  Jam
has had lots of "front end" problems.  splints, one suspensory on left,
months off each time, probably adding to the moving up delay.  Declaring at
the Vet in is  "lots of old stuff in the front, nothing new".   He seemed to
work out of it by the vet check, but vet saw more than I could feel.  We
pulled.  Heather went on to finish with good friend Cindy Crook ( thanks
again Cindy ) for 1st Jr honors.

Had difficulty getting and out of the 2 horse straight load rescue trailer.
Used to my big ol stock.  Back at the trailer Jam was pacing.  THIS IS NOT
LIKE THIS HORSE.  He is a very quiet camper.  Took him over to Barney
Flemming ( vet and friend) gave him a shot of Banamine, seemed to do the
trick.  Vital signs were normal.

After awards left for home with Barney's OK to travel.  Got home late.
Horses seem glad to be home and acting normally.  Put them up.  In the
morning all was not good.

Jam was down.  Short version: had to put Jam down with what ended up being
the result of an unknown long term illness with the end coinciding with this
ride.

He gave me his best for 43 miles while dying inside.  This horse will never
be forgotten.  His Ride photo's are in front of me on the wall above the
computer desk, where they will remain.  Reminders of 315 completion miles,
and showing me that I can do 50's.

I will do one more 30 at Pendelton, as my horse will not be 5 until May 8th,
then we will move right up to slow 50's.

Thanks to all of my supporters, known and unknown.

Happy trails to all...no matter the distance

Becky Hackworth

Alpine, CA