Greenway Gallop story--long

Have you ever had one of those weekends where NOTHING ever goes right?  I
have them all the time. But this past weekend, I got really scared because
everything seemed to flow very smoothly.

We left town when I wanted too, even a little ahead of schedule!  that
never happens.  Drove basically right to the camp...made one wrong turn,
but that was fine, saw a really neat little town and only went about 3
miles out of our way. Got to camp and the gate was left open just like the
Ranger said it would be--this is a locked, closed field trial camp.  Got
all set up and in bed about 3 am on Fri morning...I am a night person and
prefer driving on Thurs night to the rides:-)...Got some awesome
sleep..wow.  Got up Fri morning, set up our vet check area, got sandwiches
made and everything done. Now, I was totally worried...last time I was
THIS organized, I got pulled the first loop.  OK, big heavy deep breath
and went through the Pre-ride check.  Everything was FINE...whew...

Of course you all know that I am riding Nina Gibson's wonder horse Coujur,
getting him ready to take west to the Tevis this year. I have ridden him
once two weeks before on a 50 miler and once at my house for 13 or so
miles.

We started out in the cold crisp morning at a good clip.  I was determined
to take it easy and not let Coujur pull me along too fast.  He is
incredibaly strong and will go like the wind.  We took our time, came in
to the first vet check and all was going great.  I was still worried.
Things were going too good. We were about the front of the middle of the
pack and that was where I liked to be.   Second loop was fast and we were
back in no time.  I thought hmmmm....some people were pulled for lameness
and a couple of mild cramps.  This trail was MUDDY, MUDDY, MUDDY...that
sort of sucky mud that just pulls at the horses legs and shoes and makes
you hate rain.   The vet said that Coujur looked great. his CRI was really
good, like 52/48 or something low like that. I have never had a horse have
such a low CRI in my life!!:-)  This was good, BUT, I am still waiting on
the bad to happen--too organized you know:-)

Nina was there to help me with Coujur but she wound up helping the head
vet and so I was on my own.  That was ok. We were plugging along pretty
well by now. Somewhere near top ten, but not pushing.

On the third loop, we were whipping along pretty well, Coujur still felt
strong.  then crap!...On our way up a fairly steep hill, I nearly
toppled off. What the...?  My left stirrup was totally gone, fenders and
all.  shoot.  I went back, picked it up, hopeing against hope that it was
fixable..yeah right!  I hooked it around my pommel and lowered it as low
as it would go. It gave me somewhere to rest my foot, for balance.  Coujur
picked this time to feel like he wanted to lag.  I was bummed. We had been
doing so well and now this.  My balance is fairly good, and I kept telling
myself to keep balanced, keep seat bones where they needed to be, post,
post, post.  I thought I lost a lot of time, but looking back, I did that
loop only 15 minutes slower than the first time through....that wasn't so
bad.  I came in, hoping his back wasn't too sore.

Vetted through quickly, told them about the lost stirrup and to really
check his back.  I'm pretty heavy and didn't want to have hurt him.  His
back was fine, I changed saddles--lucky for me my best buddy Kathy was
back off the 25 with my Ara-App wonder horse in the making Weagle, so I
had my back up saddle!!  whew.

I knew I was leaving on the last loop--8 miles--in top ten. this was
great!!  The vet kept telling me Coujur looked great, Nina was helping
this vet and she told me he looked good. I knew he FELT good, so I was
happy. Top ten would be a good thing, but I also knew there were people
going out behind me, but stooopid me forgot to ask how close they were:-)

Coujur is a very, very strong last loop horse with Nina.  he flies with
her, but with my weight and him not used to it yet, I was skeptical.  how
would he do?  We went out like gangbusters. I let him trot his huge trot,
but when we got to a good area, I let him canter too--yes, I let
him..that's a laugh, he did it all himself. He was so mad at me for trying
to hold him back, that's something he's not used to:-)0
It seemed like no time and we were nearly back to camp. I passed a rider
off and walking, Joe Edwards from NC, he's a good buddy of mine.  He was
ok, horse lost a front shoe and there was a lot of rock near the finish. I
gave him my easy boot and went on.  Crossed the finish line in good shape.
8th place?  no?!!  7th place!! Whoo-hoo!!

I was stunned and amazed. I was top ten. Coujur was in great shape, he was
pulling me up the hill to the vet check and eating all the grass he could
munch. He drank a bucket of water and was looking for more food!

The ten minute CRI wasn't the greatest, 72/68...but he is still really
wooley. I went over and sponged him down while he was wolfing down hay and
drinking water. Took him over for completion check and he was at 56!
Trotted out sound and looked great at completion. Was I going to stand for
BC?  You bet. I figured I had to clean him up anyway
and I might as well put the vets to work. Cleaned him up and presented him
at one hour post finish.
The first three horses across the line were ineligible for BC, slight
lamenesses.  Coujur was totally sound!! The vet said that he looked great,
but I lost a lot of time.  45 minutes or so behind the leaders. I didn't
care. I was on top of the world.  Top ten!!

I tried to watch the others present for BC, but was busy for the most of
them.  I did see Karen Clark from TN with her horse and he looked GREAT
too.  Very sound!
At the awards meeting, we heard all the particulars...I could barely wait
to see how we had done on BC...When she got to that point, my heart was
beating wildly. I have never won a BC on a 50 before, and didn't figure I
had a chance here, but it was still exciting. She called out from least to
best and had two papers left in her hand and my name hadn't been called
yet.  Then Patsy Gowen, the ride manager, said and Best Condition goes
to...and I was thinking but *I* stood, she didn't call Coujurs name..she
looked strait at me and said stand up..I was afraid that if I stood up she
was going to say."not you" and I reluctantly stood up. I was crying by
now.  So were a lot of other people. I floated up to the front and
couldn't face the crowd for a minute. Everyone was cheering...I finally
turned around and told the crowd that I had never won a 50 BC
before...Still had tears running down my face and Patsy did too by now. BC
was this beautiful print of a Mare and foal..called First Foal..and gosh
is it gorgeous!!!

I was shaking and still had tears rolling down my face and Nina had known
all along.  She was crying too...

I only need one more ride to have my 2000 mile patch. I think Coujur will
be glad to help me earn that!!:-)  he's an awesome horse and I can't thank
Nina enough for loaning him to me!! She is a wonderful friend and a great
person and her horse is fabulous.  She knows how wonderful he is and so do
I.  He is used to carrying 85 lbs less than he carried on Sat...I'm
working on losing a few pounds, but I know he can carry the weight with
very little problem.  And as he gets fitter and more used to me, WOW!!

I am starting to feel better about the Tevis now!!

APPY TRAILS

SAMM C. BARTEE
Auburn, Al.  SE Region
with
COUJUR--BC, Greenway Gallop 50
B JETS WAR EAGLE--endurance newbie
135 miles and.....
SIR REVEL--Hey!  I won lots of High Vet Scores!