Re: Unidentified subject!

In a message dated 98-03-15 18:33:50 EST, rainbow@montana.com wrote:

<< Well , I'm going to try this once again . What different type things do you
 guys feed your horses at the vet checks and what is the reasoning for
 feeding them ?Also do you get up in the middle of the night to feed before
 a 50 as you do a 100 or a multi -day ?

                                     Drin & Bo

                              Southwestern , Mt. >>

I give my pony a water-electrolyte brew and a small amount of pelleted
electrolytes.  This keeps his hydration and energy up to par and restores him
a bit.  I don't like to give concentrates or hay because a hot or fatiqued
horse will most certainly colic if allowed to eat after a high-mileage
workout.  I do get up around 3 am to feed for ANY ride, because no matter what
the mileage, the horse needs to properly digest it's feed.  I also do not feed
hay the morning of the ride, because it causes too much in the digestive
system to digest.
Sara