bonus miles?

What are bonus miles?  Are they miles that are added to the entire
'endurance' total even though a person or horse didn't really ride
them.  Are they miles awarded for good deeds or something?  If you
didn't really ride them then it seems they would be even less
'endurance' miles than 25 miler limited distance miles would be.  Have I
used the word miles in this post enough?  :)  BTW, I have yet to do my
first 25 miler because my horse won't be 4 until 3/31/99.  I plan to do
LD until he is 5 and then move up to 50s and someday to 100s.  I do not
mind not getting to add the 25 mile ride totals into the 50/100 mile
totals.  Just one more voice from the newbie section.  Marilyn & Khal in
San Angelo