But what is your definition of "pasture"?  Mine are on 100 acres of woods,
rocks, and open areas.  My husband has observed them for MANY hours in his
deer stand, and is amazed at how much they travel.  They walk constantly.

#2.  It depends on the horse.  My stallion, on eight acres, can do a 50
anytime; he probably walks that much every day!  Put the old gelding in
that pasture (without him) and he stands in the same place all day, except
to go down for water.

#3.  It depends on the weight of the rider.  My daughter, age 10, who
weights in at 90 pounds, can ride anyone, and they act like they haven't
gone anywhere!  My husband, tacking in at 200+, will be much more likely to
make a horse's back sore, as it is not the miles, it is the time with a
saddle on.

The point is, ride to your horse's ability.  When I first started, I
figured if I got sore the horse got sore.  Now, what is hard for me is
remembering I am on a new horse...I don't feel the miles anymore, but she
sure will!

Hope this helps some.
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians