Re: Rabies Vaccine

K S Swigart wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Lori & Roger Sumrall wrote:
>
> >       Okay, I guess I might be missing a critical piece of information here.
> > Despite the fact that it may not be incredibly imperative that someone
> > vaccinate their horse against rabies in their particular area, why the heck
> > not JUST DO IT?!  It costs me $9.  That's NOTHING if you consider it sort
> > of like insurance.
> >       Someone fill me in on what I'm missing here if it's not the cost.
>
> Some people are of the opinion that vaccines, if administered
> indescriminately, can actually HARM the individual, and that sometimes
> they do more harm than good (cost aside).
>
> A vaccine is an assault on the horses immune system.  To be needlessly
> assaulting an individual's immune system without understanding what the
> impacts of that might be may nto be in the best interests of the horse.
>
> Also, it is not unheard of for horses (and people too for that matter) to
> have allergic reactions to a vaccine, some of which lead to almost instant
> death.
>
> Administering a vaccine is not a risk free (healthwise) activity.  It is
> up to each person to determine  what the risks are, what the risks are if
> the horse is not vaccinated and then decide which risks are more
> palatable.
>
> For some other diseases (that are not 100% fatal like rabies is), you can
> also do a "cost/benefit analysis" to decide whether the cost of all the
> insurance is more or less than the cost of having to treat the animal were
> it to become ill with the actual disease.
>
> kat
> Orange County, Calif.
Dear Kat;
I agree.  I had the vet give the rabies shot to my three horses as he
said it would be a good idea as we live in a very rural area with lots
of wild animals.  Unfortunatly, all three developed hot, painful
swellings at the injection site that lasted at least a week.  I
personally believe that it was the lack of cleanliness at the site, he
doesn't believe in cleaning with alcohol, and let him know my
displeasure.(I always practically do a surgical scrub when I do
injections, haven't had problems, knock on wood).  I was very unhappy
and felt terrible that I had subjected them to this pain and
discomfort.  I am not sure I would do this to them again... if I do,
I'LL do the scrub whether he likes it or not!
Katee