Re: FLUFF + 25 vs 50

In a message dated 98-03-13 14:25:49 EST, kathy@nvolve.com writes:

<< I'm sure there are those who didn't want to "recognize" LD
 miles at all because of the fear that this would happen...
 people would then want MORE. >>

Actually, a lot of us were concerned that by making the LD's more competitive,
we would be right back where we were when they were sanctioned for full
points, and they were a safety nightmare.  We have stood up for years in this
sport as going on record in favor of horse safety and close veterinary
monitoring, as well we should and must.  But 25 miles is such a short distance
with so few opportunities to get "hands on" the horses that hot competition at
that distance proved to be devastating.  Hence, for a long time, there WERE no
rides AT ALL under 50 miles.  Then we came up with the LD concept with the
idea that there would be NO emphasis on competition, other than possibly a BC-
type format.  Now we are creeping ever closer to the old precipice...

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)