Re: Riding on gas pipeline

Amy,
My husband is the "Right Of Ways Agent" for the Electric Power Board of
Chattanooga.  I figured this was up his alley so I called him.

He says, usually they just purchase a "right of tresspass".  That would
mean that the farmer still owns the land.  It's like having an easement.
However, they sometimes purchase strips of land and actually own them,
but that's less common.  The only way to be sure is to look up the deed.
I would think that if it goes a long distance without being crossfenced,
that you chances are a little better that the gas company may own it.
Call them and ask if they have a Right of Ways Agent, he would be able to
tell you.  Good luck.

Angie McGhee and Kaboot (so that's how he pays for the feed!)

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998 11:57:45 -0500 (EST) tetervin@bms.com writes:
> There is a large piece of newly acquired parkland near me that has a
>gas
>pipeline running through it (really nice! wide and mowed!)and the rest
>of the
>land is being leased to farmers. Anybody know if it's ok to ride on
>the
>pipeline even if it crosses leased property? Sounds stupid maybe but
>around
>here people are pretty uptight about liability etc. Thanks-Amy in NJ

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]