Short coupling

I know that a long coupled horse is a poor choice for endurance.   What about
short coupled horses?   Is there any reason you would not want to ride one,
especially a horse that is VERY short coupled?    Would the fact that I am a
heavy weight (170 with tack) make a difference in the decision?

Also, I didn't see any replies about teaching a horse to steer while tailing.
I would really appreciate a response to both of these questions -- especially
the coupling question.    Thanks!