Re: Are LD miles Endurance miles? was Re: NOT FLUFF

Dear Joe,
     I have been following this thread on ridecamp with some interest (I am a
rather unfocused person I guess; after the 1000th post on what is the best
stirrup to use on an endurance saddle, I lose interest in the subject . .
.<g>),

<< But, frankly, I've lost patience with the perrenial demands of a few 25
mile
 riders to be *given* the recognition of being an endurance rider, without
doing
 what is required to earn it.  So I no longer care if I hurt their feelings.
 They are trying to cheapen the achievements of every one of the thousands of
 real endurance riders and horses by demanding that a 25 mile ride be counted
as
 an endurance ride. >>

     and am writing to tell you what a man as obviously intelligent as
yourself has doubtless already figured out from reading some of the posted
given just half a chance . . . .) And that is . . . you are shouting into the
wind my friend.  We live in a country in which "Achievement" has been
redefined to mean "lowering the bar" far enough that even the mediocre can
pretend  to ability--and show you their award to prove the fact.  That the
trophy helps them delude themselves seems to matter not in the least.  The
attitude pervades our culture.
     There was a time when Standards of Achievement . . . and their inherrant
or man made awards . . . had meaning in this country.  When most people
understood that high standards MEANT that MOST people would not reach the goal
. . . that perhaps, feelings would be hurt by this . . . but that there was no
way around the fact, if the focus, pain, drive, ability or whatever carried
the victor to his goal were to have any meaning at all, and to hold the honor
it ought.  Some people might even be handicapped in some such way that they
would have no chance of ever reaching a certain goal, no matter how hard they
tried--too bad.  No one ever promised any of us life was made to be "fair."
Ah, but by the gods we do try to correct that oversight through legislation
and a million other devices, don't we?  If evolution worked on this principle,
we'd all still be amoebas, folks.
     I have not yet ridden in an endurance ride--though I've enjoyed this list
for over a year now.  I have ridden 50 miles in a day, many, many times . . .
it is a favorite way to kill a summer afternoon, trotting with a friend to a
town 25 miles from here, to get an ice-cream cone at the dairy shop there, and
trotting home again.  Is this endurance riding?  In no way, shape, or form.
There is no challenge, I've tested nothing . . . it is a lark, a fun
triviality.  It is a long ride, granted, and Linda and I have often not
arrived home til well after the midnight hour.
     When I do start distance riding, I think I'd like to go for the 100
milers right at the outset.  I don't know, I've been told by folks who have
been there that this might not be the wisest course . . .I may do my horse
more favors by starting with the 50's.  I will say, if I do any distance less
than 50, in my own heart and in my mind, I've been on a jaunt, not an
endurance ride.  I'm iffy about those 50's--I've done 50 miles, not in a race,
granted, but I do have some idea of the distance . . . it really ain't that
hard.  Now 100 . . . that might be a test.
    And what always astonishes me about people, is how few realize that the
real danger in lowering high standards, in making awards more a "touchy-feely"
thing than any kind of a real measure of superior ability . . . is not what it
does to the meaning of the award, not the belittling it does to the pain and
effort of those who actually did achieve a thing . . . the real danger, the
real shame, is what it does to hinder the growth of character in those who
bask in false pride.  I mean no insult to anyone; but this is how I feel.  I
have seen it.
    For myself, I would far rather attempt a thing and fail . . . than be
given a meaningless trophy.  You see, I understand, that the highest reward
for a person's effort is not what they get for it, but what they become by it.
    Fine . . . I've said enough.  Too much, probably.  Back to lurking, for
me.

"Aim at heaven and you may get earth thrown in.  Aim at earth, and you will
get neither." -c.s. lewis-

Trish & "pretty David" (who says, "when you said 100's, you were refering to
feet, weren't you mom?")