Re: NOT FLUFF/mileage

I originally posted privately to Becky in response to her inquiry about why LD
miles are separate, but since several others have jumped into the fray, I will
repeat to ridecamp what I told her.  (Sorry, Joe--I thought your answer was a
bit cold and heartless, even though I agree with the separation.)  Anyway,
here's what I said to Becky:

As I understand, the separation of LD miles from longer miles is to encourage
people to step up to the longer distances, and to emphasize the fact that LD
rides are really TRAINING rides to prepare one for the "main event" so to
speak.  The main reason for offering career mileage for LD's at all is to give
those who are unable to move up for their own reasons (physical or
psychological) a goal to work toward and some recognition for their
participation.

If you have read my previous posts on the subject, while I feel that LD rides
are a very important part of our sport, they are a PEOPLE distance, NOT a
horse distance.  I have yet to meet a horse that needed LD rides to get going
in this sport but I have met lots of wonderful PEOPLE who would not be
involved if not for LD rides--either they have handicaps that simply won't
allow them to participate at longer distances, or they aren't sure that they
can dive in head-first and try 50 miles the first time out of the box, and
need anywhere from one to several LD's to build their own confidence levels or
physical capabilities to the point of doing so.

I still strongly support the idea that those who CAN move up should be
encouraged to do so as quickly as possible, and feel that the current ruling
is appropriate.

Hope this helps.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)

P.S.:  For those of you who have written since Joe's post--I encourage you to
move up, see if you don't think it is a different world then, and post back...