FLORIDA ENDURANCE CLASSIC RIDE RESULTS (LONG)

To: Samm Bartee, President - SERA
From: Deena Meyer, Ride Mgr. Florida Endurance Classic 100-50-25
Re: Ride Results

Hi Samm!

YOU are MUCH faster with this stuff than I am!...You were missed at the
FEC, either as a rider or as Chief Volunteer; however, I've enjoyed,in
skimming through all the posts lately (no time to read/answer anything)
seeing all the excitement involving your trip to the Tevis with Cojour.
Everyone's pulling for you, and there's not a more determined, deserv-
ing person in this sport today. You give so much of yourself, un-self-
ishly, to the rides in the SE Region. Enjoy the Journey!!!
			FLORIDA ENDURANCE CLASSIC 100-50-25  7 MARCH 1998
			Withlacoochee State Forest - Inverness,Florida

FINALLY, here are the results guys. Don't know where the days have gone
since Sunday P.M....I think I was conscious, but I don't remember where
they've gone!!
CONGRATULATIONS to all the following riders for a well-done job in com-
pleting their respective distances on a HOT, BALMY, Florida trail...I
also commend ALL the riders who STARTED their respective distances but
failed to complete for one reason or another...it takes a tremendous
effort to just GET to a ride in a ready state...sometimes it works and
sometimes it doesn't. I honor you all.

              100 MILE RIDE     11 Started  5 Finished

1st To Finish!   Cindy Bell       Womeco      16h 36m
2nd Place        Linda Durkee     Silkyn      16h 36m
3rd Place        Joylen Carlson
                      Somethingsostrong       16h 53m BC!
4th Place        Vicki Dolar
                         Midnite Challenge    19h 25m
5th Place        Terry Nance
						 Jetalong Mandate     19h 25m

*NOTE: all the other 100s who pulled were "rider options".

				50 MILE RIDE    22 Started   18 Finished

1st To Finish     Valerie Kanavy   Brown R. Timothy   5h 55m  BC!
2nd Place         Joann Baker      Randolph           6h 24m
3rd Place         Dianne Bair      Munshaado          6h 52m
4th Place         Bobbie Richine   Mazaltof           7h  6m
5th Place         Echo Pompilius   Shah               7h  6m
6th Place         Ruth Dureya      Lucky Star         7h  6m
7th Place         Jean Wonser      Zywy               7h  6m
8th Place         Leslie Feroglia  CN Khetal          7h 25m
9th Place         Leah Killingsworth
                       Southern Expozure              7h 32m
10th Place        Tara Duval        Gratis            7h 32m
11th Place        Catherine Whiteacre  Faran          7h 37m
12th Place        Tina Rich        WWmii Mandee       8h  3m
13th Place        Kirsten Hite     Marikan Storm      8h  3m
14th Place        Lynn Carlson     DW Ribbons         8h 21m
15th Place        Roxanne Ciccone  Ahmann             9h 33m
16th Place        Anita Carlson    Pavichy            6h 52m comp.only
17th Place        Jean Matmor    CCA Cherabasque      7h 27m  "     "
18th Place        Doron Matmor     ALNUR              7h 27m  "     "

                   25 MILE LIMITED DISTANCE RIDE

	                  22 Started    19 Finished

1st To Complete!   Caren Staufer       Starman         3h 14m
2nd "    "         Maryellen Shoemaker Mi Alabi        3h 15m
3rd                Michele Vernazzaro  Sweetheart Deal 3h 16m
4th "    "         Joe  Baker          Kaaliber        3h 19m
5th              * Alycin Hayes    Zarrs April Fancy   3h 19m  BC!****
6th "   "          Cindy Barrett      Heroic Angel     3h 22m
7th "   "          Lynn Turk          Moon Shadow      3h 25m
8th                Nora Mask        Myorka Doc Tucker  4h 17m
9th                Sarah Noll         Shiloh           4h 17m
10th "    "        Wendy Wilson     Anaza Boy Halimm   4h 25m
11th               Joy Bostrom         Captiva         4h 34m
12th               Carol Thompson     Irish Rogue      4h 49m
13th               Rob Thompson       Irish Blaze      4h 57m
Overtime; Completion for ride only;

14th  "     "      Karen Gehringer   NH Classy Roseana 5h 32m
15th  "      "     Robert Bolton     Ali Maher         5h 32m
16th  "      "     Rae Bolton        Freckles Main Man 5h 36m
17th               Gerri Taylor      "Kierra"          5h 44m
18th  "      "     Jeanette Riggs    Ashtar            6h  8m

So there you have
it!!
****APOLOGIES  TO THE OWNER OF THE BEST CONDITIONED HORSE, ALYCIN HAYES,
..for inadvertantly leaving her out altogether during the LD Awards
Ceremony! How, you say, can this happen to the
Best Conditioned Horse & 5th place finisher?? Easily, when the ride
manager & secretary screw up! Here's how:

For a reason I can't clearly remember, some ride data was given to the
wonderful folks who were customizing our rider awards on the spot;
Alycin's BC sheet was among that data and did not get retreived ...major
no-no..so when Master of Ceremony Brian Bourne (Auburn, Al) was present-
ing and announcing the placements, Alycin was by-passed...and the BC
was of course, awarded to the highest score that Brian had to work
with, but not the correct one!  Oh My! So not only did this brain-dead
RM have to answer to Alycin (who did a Very Well Done Job with her 1/2
Arab 1/2 Mustang),she had to tell the poor rider who was ecstatic with
joy at the Awards Ceremony that she needed to turn back in all the
applause SHE got! Both ladies have been very understanding, both did a
wonderful job with their horses, and Alycin, here's YOUR applause :

                          YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some thoughts:
As freezing cold decends upon the SE tonight, I reflect back to running
around Base Camp in riding tights and a tank top just a few short days
ago...don't know which is worse: too hot or too cold! Just know that
I was very thankful that we were spared the nasty wind and rain that
moved in Sun. P.M.....those that came to Florida looking for sunshine
got it,along with fresh squeezed O.J...the difficulty factor in what
we all believe is a bascically easy trail, was the fact that the trail
went from "fast" to "sluggish" in less than a week....no rain (for a
week)plus windy,dry weather, turned our sandy trails into much more of
a challenge than expected by most, even our locals, but very doable
though, as the above results show....... Riders, we hear you!
...we're checking the calibration on the vehicle we used to run
the mileage...mummurs of "long" were drifting back to me later in the
day and I respect your opinions...this will be checked
and corrected if error is found. This RM will do all possible to contin-
ue to make the Florida Endurance Classic a rider friendly ride.Your
comments are appreciated and wanted...so send in your Ride Survey!

Head Veterinarian was Dwight Hooten,ably assisted by Drs. Jim Bryant &
Jennifer Hooper, along with 3 veterinary students from the U of Fl.
(thank you Dr.Bryant..you're a RM's dream to bring the students) ..no
horses, to my knowledge were treated.
..there was only 1 pull for metabolics in the whole lot. Pretty good!

Nancy Gooch was Head Timer; Candace & Brian Bourne filled out the rest
of the guts of the ride-control team...these folks have HUGE angel wings
and I'm full of affection for them...they drive many hours to get to
our ride, work until it's over, and in this case, it was VERY late...
then they sleep for a bit and drive many hours back home! I don't know
how they do it, and I don't know what I would have done without them..
Bless you ....and warm thanks to all the volunteers who said they would
help and did,ESPECIALLY, THE ELITES, our trail marking friends.

A local Ham Amatuer Radio Club was with us all day and into the night...
not ALL night as we wished, but, hey, these guys didn't have to come at
all...all are senior citizens, and somehow, weren't too keen on being
out in the middle of a forest in the wee hours...they made communica-
tion a breeze and saved a LOT  of running around and wondering. We're
most grateful.

Might as well get in a pitch for 1999....Florida Endurance Classic
100-75-50-25 (did you catch that NEW 75 Mile Distance?)...watch the
EN Calendar....

Deena Meyer  (riding a 100 miles is easier! Now interviewing for someone
Inverness,Fl.        to take my place next year so that I can do that!)
.